Friday, January 12, 2007

Persisting Through Tedium to Success

 A little story of the one time I accidentally turned on my positive self talk anxiety.

I remember when I was in my last year of dance training. I had a very exasperating day in class. In fact, I kind of snapped. Somewhere in the middle of a pirouette I decided. "Well, that's it. I'm definitely quitting." I just threw myself through the rest of class, not caring whether it was sloppy or not. It no longer mattered.

My very smart teacher, Nancy Kilgour, knew exactly where I was at. She came up to me after class and said "That is the best class I've seen you do. You really let go and everything looked easy and flowing."

I was shocked. I was ANGRY. I told her I was quitting and I could no longer care enough to struggle and work, with what felt like no reward at all. She said "But if you hadn't have done the years of tedious repetition, the thousands of plies and jetes, the slogging, daily, over-and-over- again WORK, you couldn't throw yourself around in class for an hour and a half and look so good. You could not have that result." Wow.....

So I danced for years.... and the daily grind led to some very good results. The tedium paid off.

So the Tedium is the Medium. That's goofy, but sometimes slogans are needed.

I am leaving the tedium for a weekend in the country..... well earned, I feel. And back to the same-old Sunday evening!

So have a great weekend, be grateful for every moment, especially the tedious ones that lead to the wonderful contrast of the reward.

I recommend a wonderful system of EFT Tapping that shows you how to develop your own positive self talk - decreasing anxiety!

2 comments:

DigitalRich said...

Thanks for participating in the Carnival of the Storytellers! The 9th edition is up and running at:

http://digitalrich.blogspot.com/2007/05/carnival-of-storytellers-9th-edition.html

DigitalRich

Anonymous said...

Great post! It will appear in the May 15th (ok 19th) edition of the Blog It and Earn It Carnival hosted on my blog. The post will be live in just a bit but here is the link Blog It and Earn It May 15. Hope you get a chance to stop by and thanks for the submission!